Canton Suburban Baseball League
The following rules are for the Canton Little League (CLL) Suburban baseball Junior Age 9-12 Division. These were reviewed and agreed on by various members of the CLL board of directors. Our goal is to teach the rules of baseball that are used at this level in order to form a strong base that can be built upon in future play. The focus is on developing baseball skills and knowledge of the game as well as providing a positive experience in being part of a team.
Each team shall play a regular season schedule and participate in a playoff tournament at the conclusion of the regular season. The number of regular season games shall be determined at the start of each season, but shall be at least twelve (12) games in accordance with the regulations and playing rules of Little League Baseball.
12 LEAGUE; Players may not be more than 12 years of age before May 1.
11 LEAGUE; Players may not be more than 11 years of age before May 1.
10 LEAGUe; Players may not be more than 10 years of age before May 1.
9 LEAGUE; Players may not be more than 9 years of age before May 1.
Games will be played accordirlg to the rules of Little League as printed by Williamsport with the following exceptions.
1. All teams are responsible for their own insurance.
2. Rosters must be turned in by July 1. No player may be added to a roster after July 1. Maximum number of players on a roster is 15. A player may be listed on one roster only. (An 11 year old listed on the 12 year old roster may not play for the 11 year old team). To avoid a forfeit a player from a lower league may be brought up, but may not pitch. Each lower individual player may be brought up only twice during the season.
3. Players must be drawn from the spring league in which they played. If a team cannot be formed because of lack of interested players from one league, that team may draw from another league within that town or city upon approval from the league director. Under no circumstances may 'All-Star'-'Allstar' or 'city-wide All-Star teams enter the S.Y.B.L. "(this is a competitive but not a win at all cost league).
4. Every player must play at least two innings defensively and bat once.
5. Home teams will supply umpires and field equipment for the regular season and preliminary and 1st round playoff games held at home. League will pay umpires and supply balls for all other playoff games.
6. Each team will supply one game ball. Home team will supply extras as needed.
7. Umpires must be at least 16 years of age for the 10, and 9 year old leagues. Adult umpires (18+ patched if possible) must be used in the 12 and 11year old league. This is the key to a smooth league--try to get the best available. Adult patched umpires are used in the playoffs on all levels.
8. Teams in all leagues may use a 9, 10, or full roster batting order. When using a 10 man order the extra hitter (EH) may enter the game defensively and another player may become the E.H. When using a full roster order, there is free substitution defensively except for the pitcher. Once the pitcher is removed from from that position he/she may not return to the mound.
9. Player Re-entry Rule: A starter and only a starter may re-enter the game in any spot in the batting order once his substitute has batted once and played two innings defensively (6 outs).
10. Adult coaches may coach both first and third bases. If a player coaches a base, that player must wear a helmet. All players must wear helmets when batting or running the bases.
11. Games with a 10+ run differential will be stopped after five (5) innings (4 ~ innings ifhome team is ahead). Official game, if stopped by weather is (4) innings (3 ~ if home team is ahead).
12. Pitching rule for the regular season: 12 and 11 year old leagues-4 innings maximum per game. 10 and 9 year old leagues-3 innings maximum per game. Innings per week and rest periods are waived. See each league playoff schedule for post-season pitching rules. The SYBL will not use the new pitch count rule.
13. USE OF THE CURVE BALL OR ANY BREAKING BALL IS FORBIDDEN IN THE 11, 10, AND 9 YEAR OLD LEAGUES. (FAST BALL AND CHANGE-UP WILL BE THE ONLY PITCHES ALLOWED KNUCKLEBALLS ARE NOT ALLOWED). ANY TYPE PITCH WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE 12 YEAR OLD 'A' LEAGUE.
14. ANY BAT THAT MEETS 'LITTLE LEAGUE' SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVAL MAY BE USED.
15. Teams will receive 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie in league standings. Games for record sake may last no longer than six (6) innings. Any games tied after 6 innings will be declared a tie (exception-playoff games).
16. Any pitcher who hits three (3) batters in one game must be removed from that position.
17. CURFEW: Umpires must call the game when the conditions become potentially dangerous to players. The safety of the players must be the first consideration of game officials. NOTE: Each team will assume responsibility for maintaining safe playing conditions at its field at all games.
18. PROTESTS: If a situation should arise where the umpire has made an incorrect calIon a rules interpretation, a manager must prove that the umpire has made the call incorrectly by pointing out the written rule in black and white (5 minutes to find the rule-games cannot be delayed any longer than that). If the umpire is proven to be incorrect he or she must reverse the call. If the rule can not be found or is not specific enough, the umpire must defer to his/her judgement and that judgement is final. There will be no protesting of games. There may be no protests or delay of game on judgement calls whatsoever.
19. FORFEITED GAMEs: Teams must absolutely not forfeit games. Each team has a 10 game schedule and 4-5 weeks to complete it. Any team that forfeits a game; upon review, may not be allowed to participate in the league the following year. (refer to rule 2a). Note: all teams must not procrastinate in playing make-up games. By the same token all teams must be co-operative with teams who have schedule conflict (not personnel problems). The S.Y.B.L. is unlike many other leagues or tourrnaments in that we allow for schedule conflicts(except during the post season tournament). We are proud of the fact that our league is based on this kind of flexibility. However, we can not allow teams to take advantage of this flexibility. Let's all work together to make this a fun and exciting league for everyone.
20. Any team found in direct deliberate violation of the rules and regulations of the S.Y.B.L. will be subject to a one year suspension. Adults responsible for any such violation will be banned from future participation in the S.Y.B.L.
20. No slashing (fake bunt, then swing-penalty-batter is out)
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR 9 YEAR OLD LEAGUE
1. Stealing is allowed (only 2cd and 3rd bases). Example: 1st and 3rd situation--catcher is encouraged to throw out runner at 2nd base. Runner on 3rd cannot score even if wild throw to 2nd.
Example: A runner stealing 2nd may continue to 3rd if wild throw but no further
Example: Runner stealing 3rd base may not score on wild throw to 3rd , or any pick-off attempt.
A runner on 3rd can only score on a batted ball or when forced in on a bases loaded walk or hit batsman.
2. Bunting is allowed.
3. Infield fly rule will be in effect.
4. Pitchers may pitch a maximum of 3 innings per game--must be consecutive.
5. Five runs scored maximum per team at bat (example-player hits a 3-run homer for runs 5, 6, and 7 -team still credited with five runs for the inning.
6. Mercy Rule: If a team is leading by 11 runs after 4 innings, or goes ahead by 11 runs in the fifth inning, the game is over. If a team is leading by 6 or more runs after 5 innings,or goes ahead by 6 runs in the sixth inning, the game is over.
7. Any team may elect to use a total roster batting order with free substitution (with the exception of the pitcher). Teams must announce this intention before the game and may not deviate from it.
2010 Suburban Youth Baseball League-'B' League Rules
B-I2 League--players may not be more than 12 years of age before May 1 and must not have been chosen for the 12 year old top team.
B-II League-players may not be more than 11 years of age before May 1 and must not have been chosen for the 11 year old top team.
B-I0 League:-players may not be more than 10 years of age before May 1 and must not have been chosen for the 10 year old top team.
B-9 League--players may not be more tha 9 years of age before May 1 and must not have been chosen for the 9 year old top team.
Rules: Same as the 'A team S. Y .B.L~ teams with the following exceptions:
t. Pitchers in all leagues may pitch a maximum of three innings per game, including playoffs. No rest periods needed.
2. All players must play at least three (3) innings in every game. (Teams may also choose to use full roster lineup with free substitutions defensively except lor the pitcher).
3. Pitchers may only use the fast ball or change up in all leagues (no breaking balls, curves, sliders, knucklers. etc).
4. Five (5) runs scored maximum per team at bat (example: If a player hits a 3 run homer for runs 5, 6, and 7 in that inning the team would still be credited with 5 runs for the inning.
5. Mercy Rule: If a team is leading by 11 runs after 4 innings, or goes ahead by 11 runs in the fifth inning, the game is over. If a team is leading by 6 runs after 5 innings,or goes ahead by 6 runs in the sixth inning, the game is over.
CALLING IN SCORES
It is of the utmost importance tllat the league is able to keep an accurate up to the minute account of league standings. "Therefore, we have provided an answering service at 508-761-9883. It will be accessible 24 hours a day. The winning manager MUST call in the score within 24 hours or e-mail the result to
. If a score is not called in or e-mailed within this time frame BOTH teams will receive a loss in the standings.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This rule also applies to rescheduled games. All games rained out or rescheduled for any reason must be phoned in or emailed to the league office as soon as they are rescheduled. The league must be aware of all rescheduled games. If a game is rescheduled and is not phoned in or e-mailed to the league, we must assume that the game was played according to the printed schedule. Therefore, 24 hours after the scheduled game time, both teams will receive a loss.
PHONE IN ALL SCORES TO 508-761-9883 within 24 hours (preferably the night the game is played) OR E-MAIL scoresto:email@example.com Follow the correct procedure below.
1. Give League (A or B); age level (12-11-10-9) and region (1-2-3-4)
2. Date game was scheduled, even if made up on another night.
3. Winning team and "score followed by losing team and score.
****REMEMBER THE WINNING TEAM's COACH MUST CALL IN SCORE WITIllN 24 HOURS OR E-MAIL THE SCORE OR BOTH TEAMS WILL BE CREDITED WITH A LOSS.
STANDINGS WILL BE E-MAILED OUT TO ALL PROGRAM REPRESTATIVES ON JULY 12, JULY 19, JULY 26. AUGUST 2, AND AFTER THE FINALS ON AUGUST 16.